Tuesday 7 January 2014

Why Montessori?


I had a 70's and 80's public school experience, I've been exposed to the 21st century public school experience and we've had a 15 year homeschooling experience. We dabbled in literature based unit studies, we played with a variety of manipulatives, we made learning a lifestyle and we discovered the liberty of unschooling and here I am fiddling with Montessori. Why?

Well, to me it just stretches my knowledge and understanding of how (and why) we learn, practically, a little bit further. My unschooling frame of reference helps clarify many key Montessori principles. I know many people don't quite get it like I do because they have different experiences, a different point of departure.

Let me make it clear: Montessori is not about the didactic materials. Nor is it all about Cosmic Education.

Montessori is a way to unschool practically in a classroom environment and that's why I love it! Montessori has managed to get the world's attention, it's stamp of approval on unschooling, on natural child-led learning, on a successful method that is scientifically based and not just tradition-based.

Yes, I miss a stronger focus on literature and on imaginary play. And yes, Montessorians can get all "better-than-thou" elitist. They can withdraw from the debate on education, become separatists.  And they can get hung up on their didcatic materials and exactly how to present them and exactly how to use them. And they can lose sight of the fact that they should be the salt, the light in the communities that they live in. And they can forget the one that it is all about: the child. They can forget to  f o l l o w  the child. And all this would sadden Dr Montessori.

But I do love the respectful classroom management style and the ordered, beautiful environment. I love the fact that the prepared environment offers the children a variety of choices, that the teacher is simply a facilitator. I love the emphasis on the concrete-, the hands-on activities especially the sensorial and maths materials, and on nature.  I love that real life is very much a part of real learning.

And I love Maria Montessori's heart for the child.

No comments:

Post a Comment